Saturday, May 27, 2017

Professor Arryn's Story (Part 1)

I told you before that I've started playing Dungeons and Dragons again.  I like to fully create my character, with personality, quirks, and back story.   I've spent a lot of time developing her story, and researching some of the world of Forgotten Realms (one of the worlds used in Dungeons & Dragons), and some other things.  I've made my character related to another famous character, which I'm sure you'll pick up on before long. lol

The short version:

Professor Arryn is a half-elf Rogue/Warlock.  She is a book nerd, loves mysteries, and highly values knowledge; she will do whatever it takes to collect it.

Here are letters and diary excerpts I've written to explain her back story.  I've written more, but I'll give you a few "entries" at a time.  Please note that the world of the Forgotten Realms has their own calendar, holidays, and culture, which I will reference.  I'll give the equivalent of our dates to have the progression make more sense to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5 Elesias, 1492 DR (5 August)

Dear Mother,

I hope you had a wonderful Midsummer!  My celebrations were pleasant enough.  I am happy to tell you that I start my new teaching position this autumn.  I’ll be the Professor of History at the College of FochlucanSilverymoon!  I get to move from this tiny no-name town and back to the city of my birth.  Perhaps you’ll come visit me? 



I know it pains you to see the places we lived with Dad but for me it will always be home; a place I can be accepted.  I know the people, the humans, here mean well, but I get tired of side-glances.  In Siverymoon, I’m just another person. 

I miss you and long to see you, but you know why I can’t come to visit in Moonwood.  Will you please consider coming to visit?  Bring Henry, too.  Maybe for Highharvestide?  It can be like old times!

Your loving daughter,
Arryn

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
27 Elesias, 1492 (27 August)

Mother,

I’ve arrived at the College, and you’ll never guess who else is here: Ramas Nathandem!  Do you remember him?  Henry’s friend from down the street.  He and Henry used to tease me and say I was crazy for reading so much.  He’s been here for several years already and is the Professor of Folk Tales here at the college.  Ha!  He grew up; and quite handsomely, too.

My heart is singing for joy!  I’m so elated that you have accepted my invitation for a visit makes my heart sing.  I look forward to seeing you.  I’ll make sure to book a room at the inn and our favorite restaurant and invite some of our old friends to join us.  Tell Henry that I’ll be inviting Professor Nathandem so they can catch up.  It’ll be so much fun!

When you come, can you bring Dad’s old hat and coat?  I wasn’t ready to have them before, but I am ready to come out of morning and honor his memory going forward.  I think he’d really love that I am now a professor, as he once was.

Love,
Arryn

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

12 Marpenoth, 1492 DR (12 October)

Hello, Dad. I know its been a few years now since we’ve spoken.  My apologies for not talking to you for so long.  I know it was childish of me, but I was mad at you for leaving me.  We all complete the circle of life at some point, but I simply wasn’t ready to let you go.  I’m still not, but I’m going to be more mature about it.  I’ll be writing to you in my journal very often.  Heh.  I’ve grown up now into a “lovely young lady,” so mother tells me.  I know better.  I’ll never be a “lady,” I’ve got too much of your spirit in me.  I try to follow the rules for Mother’s sake, though.

I’m a Professor of History now, like you were, and I’ve come home to Silverymoon.   I’ve made friends during my time here, the other professors are very kind to me.  They have studied such a wide variety of subjects and happily debate and contemplate mysteries with me. 

After you left us, Mother went back to live with her beloved ravens in Moonwood.  She and Henry came to visit me for Highharvestide and brought me your old coat and favorite hat.  We had a lovely visit.  Mother is as beautiful as ever, though her eyes are always sad now. Henry has several more scars from all his adventures.  Mother tries to keep him out of trouble, but he always seems to find himself in it.  We ate dinner at our favorite restaurant on the corner in our old neighborhood.  That old halfling is still there making his famous cobbler!

After they went home, I got out the old map in your pocket and read your notes on your Last Mystery.  Not that you ever had an end to mysteries and questions, but it was the last one you were working on and asked me to complete for you, so that’s what I’m going to call it, and that’s that.

Unfortunately, none of the other professors have been able to help me with your Mystery.  Some look at me like I’m crazy for talking about going into the world and searching for answers myself; they suggested to leave the footwork to the “common adventurers,” like that’s some sort of insult.

Everyday I remember the stories you told me of your adventures, especially the one where you used Grandpa’s diary to follow him across the world and find the lost magic cup.  That one is ever my favorite!  I’m beginning to feel the wanderlust you spoke of.  I want so badly to see the fantastic things I read about in books with my own eyes.  As you said, “The only way to become a good archeologist is to get out of the library.”


Love Always,
Arryn

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

17 Hammer, 1493 DR (17 January)

Dad,

It’s been a long day at the university.   Midwinter is coming up and it is obvious that the students are distracted.  They obviously want to be home celebrating with their loved ones.  I know - I long for it, too.  I miss my family.  I miss you.

I’m happy here at Fochlucan.  I love teaching and talking about history, but my feet itch so much it is hard to ignore.  Every night I study your notes.  You cautioned me to learn from you and not begin until I was ready.  I think I almost am, but I’m still scared.  I don’t want to go alone.  I’m not good at things like finding my way through a jungle.  What if I get lost?  The monotony here is annoying; the same boring meals on the same boring schedule, but I have to admit that I’ve grown used to having the servants do the cleaning for me.  I hate to do the washing up; my hands get all wrinkly and it makes my handwriting sloppy, which I cannot abide.  (Sigh.)

How do I overcome my fears, Dad?  I wish I could reach beyond this world and speak to you personally and receive your guidance.  Can you send me a sign?

Love,
Arryn
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Continue to read the other parts of the story!

Part 2  Part 3  Part 4  Part 5 

No comments:

Post a Comment