Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Professor Arryn's Story (Part 2)

Here are four more letters and diary excerpts from Professor Arryn Jones, my D&D character.

To read Part 1 click here.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

3 Alturiak, 1493 DR  (3 February)

Dad,

Today, after a particularly captivating lecture about Karsus's Folly, Professor Nathandem invited me to tea to talk more on the subject.  Our discussion continued for quite some time until we were interrupted by our class schedules.  He invited me to join him in the Rare Books library soon, which only the senior professors have access to.  He wants to show me the texts which support his argument disagreeing with Mystra's limit on magic. 
This is an exceedingly fortuitous opportunity!  I hope I can keep myself composed and act like a proper lady instead of drooling over the beautiful tomes.
Love,
Arryn

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

6 Alturiak, 1493 DR  (6 February)

Dad!

I saw it; there, in the Rare Books library!   As Professor Nathandem was on his second point of his theory I felt a distinct tug at my consciousness.  On the top shelf of the third bookcase on my right, was a small black book that demanded my attention.  I swear to Oghma, it was calling out to me!  It was all I could do to not climb the shelves then and there.  Unfortunately, since I was so distracted I wasn’t able to listen to the professors argument and provide counterpoints so I had to concede to his point.  He seemed disappointed somehow.  I think maybe he enjoys debating with me.  He asked to join me for lunch so he could hear my view on the Tablets of Fate but I made excuses to avoid it.  I had to make a plan to get that book! 

Thank you, thank you for the sign, Dad!

Love,
Arryn

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

19  Alturiak, 1493 DR  (19 February)

Dearest Dad,

Professor Nathandem is annoying me.  I’ve been trying to go into the city to find someone who can train me to be able to steal it but every time I try to leave the building he intercepts me.  He asks me if he can join me for my walk.  While normally I’d find it an enjoyable prospect, I can hardly agree when it would inhibit my mission!

It’s rather awkward trying to find someone willing to teach me.  So far all I’ve gotten is a scoundrel that gladly took my money, handed me an old knife, and told me to stick the pointy end into my enemy’s back.  After that “lesson” he disappeared.  Sigh.  I hope my luck improves soon!

Love,
Arryn

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
27  Alturiak, 1493 DR. (27 February)

Dad,

Practice has been going well!  After several awkward attempts to find someone to teach me, a very intriguing human introduced himself to me as “Artus,” (though I don’t think that’s his real name).  In any case, Artus bought me a meal (the stew had a refreshing different blend of seasonings than the university’s cook uses) and we got to talking.  He asked me about my less-than subtle attempt at finding a teacher and why I didn’t approach the thieves’ guild.  I told him of my thirst for knowledge and my wanderlust, leaving out anything about the book of course, and I had no desire to join a local guild.  I was saddened by a seemingly dead end to my journey.

That’s when Artus told me about the Harpers.  A whole guild of people who love knowledge as much as I do, and travel around the world to gather more knowledge!  I had come across mentions of the group in studies, but no one mentioned how far reaching the guild is!  Here he was recruiting me and offering to train me!  I was so excited that I kissed him.  Ha!  He didn’t quite know what to make of that so he changed the subject. 

We made an appointment to begin training the next day.  Unfortunately it seems I am tone-deaf and he begged me to stop trying to sing.  Apparently I wasn’t much good at playing his lute, either, as he took it away and hid it.  He did complement me on my nimble fingers, however, so he tried a different approach, teaching me the ways of the rogue.  You’d would like Artus, Dad.  I wish the two of you could have met.

I’ve spent a lot of time in libraries so I’m well practiced at being quiet already, I just need to learn to not be seen when I don’t want to be.  I’ve been practicing sneaking out of the university right past Professor Nathadem.  Hehe.  Of course I’ve let him see me sometimes, I’ve even agreed to an occasional walk together so he doesn’t get suspicious.  He asked me to dinner next week; I’m not sure how I should answer that yet.

Love,
Arryn
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Continue to read the other parts of the story!
Part 3  Part 4  Part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment