Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Professor Arryn's Story (Part 4)

Here are four more letters and diary excerpts from Professor Arryn Jones, my D&D character.

To read the previous parts of the story, click the links:
Part 1  Part 2  Part 3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
1 Mirtul, 1493 DR  (1 May)

Dad,

I did it!  I got the book!  I had to set up poor Ramas in an awkward situation and I feel really bad about that.  He was able to get himself out of it, so it ended well.  Unfortunately, I also stood him up for our dinner date, and I’ll have to find some way to apologize to him for that.  I don’t like deceiving him and not sure that I want to do it anymore.

I can’t read my book just yet.  I think there’s some sort of spell on it that I have to get removed. I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight from all the excitement, so I’ll go back and grade some more research papers.

Love,
Arryn
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

4 Mirtul, 1493 DR  (4 May)

Dad,

I read the book, and it is AMAZING!  There is so much lore about conjuring and beings from other planes.  I KNOW you don’t believe in “magic mumbo jumbo.”  That’s why I studied history and lore as you did instead of going to the wizarding academy.  Just hear me out; imagine the possibilities if I could ask beings from beyond this world all my questions.  If I could ask them about your Last Mystery!  I am in awe of the knowledge this could give me access to.  It does require a great commitment on my part, but the rewards are beyond my imagining.

This is not a decision I cannot make lightly or quickly.  I have to get away from Ramas so I can think clearly and weigh this decision properly. 

Love,
Arryn
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

14 Mirtul, 1493 DR  (14 May)

Dad,

School is out.  I finished grading the last test just a few hours ago.  I posted the grades for the students, and left a note for the Dean that I’ll be back in the fall. 

I packed lightly and left early in the morning without telling Ramas.  I couldn’t face all the questions he’d ask.  I’ve decided to not lie to him anymore and I’d have to tell him all about the book.  I can’t have his responses swaying my decision.  I did tell Artus though, and he is supportive.  He understands the gravity of my decision and kept his opinions neutral.

While I was talking with Artus, Ramas showed up at the house looking for me.  I guess I’d not been as good at sneaking past him in those early days as I thought.  He’d never once even hinted that he knew I was talking to the Harpers.

Right now Artus is buying my passage to Waterdeep with a caravan so that I could focus on my studies for a time.  He gave me a Harper’s pin and we promised to keep in touch.  I’m going to miss Silverymoon, but I am starting on my grand adventure to solve your Last Mystery.
Wish me luck!

Love,
Arryn
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
24 Mirtul, 1493 DR  (24 May)

Dad,

I’ve arrived in Waterdeep.  On my trip here I cleared my head and was able to focus my thoughts.  It was subtle, but it soon became very obvious to me that a single fiend wrote this book as a kind of way to recruit followers.  To what purpose I do not know yet; I will find that out when I summon him.

Yes, I’ve decided to do it.  There are so many reasons why I should.  I’m not sure which fiend I’m going to be summoning, and I freely admit that I’m worried.  I don’t want to be tricked into selling my soul to someone who will eat it, or have me murdering children.  If it comes to that, I will have to find a way to back out of making a Pact.

I’m going to gather all the components I need in the next few days and I will summon the demon.  I’ve rented a room at the The Grinning Lion.  With so many people coming and going they hardly notice me at all.

Love,
Arryn

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Continue to read the other parts of the story!

Part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment