Wednesday, June 17, 2015

California Red

Hello!

Last night was my once-a-month spinning guild meeting. It was also our annual alpaca fleece sale as our local supplier sheered just last week. This time we also had another vendor come in with his hand dyed roving and yarns. 

He also brought some raw fleece that I've never spun before; Rambouillet and Targhee. I couldn't resist them so I came home with a pound of the former and half a pound of the latter. They're unskirted so he gave me a bit extra to make up for the waste as he didn't have time to skirt it (take out all the short bits) right then. 

Because of the sale I knew there wouldn't be much room for spinning so I left my wheel at home and brought my drop spindle. I grabbed my California Red roving that I bought at Oregon Flock and Fiber last year.  I also brought Thomas' drop spundle as he came with me. He ended up playing a game in the other room so I used his spindle to teach a new person to spin. I think I've got another one hooked!  :D

This is how much I spun last night, between guild time and later at home. 

Let me tell you a bit about this fiber. I've spun another ball of this roving already and plied it wuth some Shetland. Just recently I blended some with huacaya alpaca to make batts and spun it for my SAPGAP trade. I really like it!  Because of the red hairs being a little corser it isn't as soft as some other wools but it is still soft and squishy. I absolutley love the color depth of this fiber; there are no parallels. 

It spins fantasticly and lets me spin it fairly finely.  Some of this single is what people would call sewing thread. 


The California Red sheep is a rare breed with an interesting history.  It was the result of cross breeding in the 1970s in California to try to create a wool-less meat sheep. Obviously the failed on the wool-less, instead they got a great dual-purpose sheep with wonderful unique fiber. 
If you'd like to know more about this breed of sheep and its interesting story check out this link:  http://www.caredsheep.com

Here is my previosly spun 3 ply (2 Cal Red, 1 Shetland):


I know my blog has been spinning- heavy of late. Because that is where progress is being made. My knitting is slow going as my two projects are. I still need to try the Sasquatch socks on the recipient (hopefully Friday!) and I'm swatching my intarsia for the Luck Sack.  I'll give you a progress report of the design tomorrow.


If you enjoyed this post, be sure to follow me by email or Google+ so you don't miss anything!
If you like the things that I make, check out my online shop.
You can also find me at the following sites:
Ravelry Designer Page
Facebook Page
Twitter
My Personal Knitting Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment